I have been cloth diapering for almost a year now. When you hear ‘Cloth Diaper’ do not picturize plastic covers and flats with safety pins like what our mothers and grandmothers used. Instead, the modern cloth diapers are trendy with beautiful prints and are trim diapers made of organic cotton/microfiber/hemp/bamboo cotton, PUL and a few snaps.
Delving into the cloth diapering world has taught me some interesting facts for sure. Here are a few.
1. To shop local from small shop owners rather than big corporate . Especially mompreneurs. You are helping a family out.
2. To reduce my carbon print or plastic trail.
3. Organic cotton clothes are better than synthetic fibers especially for baby skin.
4. Online shopping. It’s pros and cons and everything in between.
5. Fast fingers during online shopping. Especially in cases of sales and discounts.
6.Facebook groups are a close-knit community. The easiest place to find your tribe – people with your own interest. (No wonder, Facebook realized it huge potential and is testing ads in groups now !)
7. Offers and reward points are a great way to save a few bucks.
8. There is something called Black Friday sales and earth day sales.(We live in the East haha!)
9. Sun works a magic on stains. Wet the cloth and dry under the sun.
10. For proper usage of washing machine use 3/4 load for better friction. Not less. Not full. (Also, the washing machine manual has a plethora of information!)
11. The amount of detergent used should be as mentioned on the detergent packet, especially for heavily soiled dresses
12.. Being aware of ingredients in detergent & also its individual uses – as perfumes, conditioners etc.
13.Concept of pre-wash in laundry.
14. Overnight diapers stink. Pretty bad. Ponder on all the ingredients in disposable diapers which mask that smell.
15. The different stages of baby poop. Think – Water. Peanut butter. Truffles! (Sorry!)
16. PUL is the waterproof layer used on Cloth diapers. Other application in medical, automotive and garment uses.
17. How to insert snaps on fabric.
18. Lanolized woolen shorts or pants can be used as diaper cover. They are water-resistant and have natural odour fighting properties.
19. Micro-fleece is a stay dry layer. Pour water and touch . Magic.
20. Online giveaways – You get free stuff as a consumer. As a business owner, you get huge attention especially based on the product being given away. Take advantage of all the likes, comments and page views due to a giveaway.
21. For any product to be popular, not only is it necessary to be functional but also should have aesthetic value. How else do you explain beautifully printed diapers going for 300$?
22.Business should target mothers. They are the decision makers of the family.
23. BST – There is a whole world out there. (ie Buy/Sell/Trade for the uninitiated! )
24.Different acronyms DISO, HTF, MV, AIO etc
25. Other aspects of natural parenting.
Do you have any more points to add to this list?